Tax Guru – Ker$tetter Letter

Helping real people win the tax game.

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 685 other subscribers
  • Blog Stats

    • 314,963 hits
  • Posts By Day

    June 2007
    M T W T F S S
  • Subscribe

  • Special Pages

Archive for June, 2007

Posted by taxguru on June 30, 2007

Posted in comix, IRS | Comments Off on

Posted by taxguru on June 28, 2007

(Click on image for full size)

Posted in audits, comix | Comments Off on

Posted by taxguru on June 27, 2007

New Reverse Mortgages Bring Perks, but Also Some Risk


Washington’s ‘War Against Winners’  – No surprise here. The Dims are hoping to take us in the wrong direction in regard to special capital gains tax rates.  I’ve pretty well given up hope of  Bush showing some guts and issuing the executive order that his father was too scared to do and allow the cost basis of assets sold to be adjusted for inflation; but it would be nice if he surprised us all by sticking it to the DemonRats.


Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on

Posted by taxguru on June 26, 2007

Keep the Internet Tax-Free Jack Kemp includes this quote from Ronald Reagan:

“The trouble with those on ‘the left’: if they see something move, they’ll tax it, if it keeps moving, they’ll regulate it, and if it stops moving, they’ll subsidize it.”



Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on

Posted by taxguru on June 25, 2007


What is the difference between a leech and the IRS?


The leech stops sucking you dry after you’re dead.

From eBaum’s World (with appropriate modification)


Posted in IRS | Comments Off on

LLC Donations

Posted by taxguru on June 23, 2007


Subject: Can An LLC Donate Money?

Hi Kerry,
Love the blog, thanks for answering all of my questions thus far, I was just wondering if a business (specifically an LLC) could donate money and deduct it from its income? And not to fret, I’m on my way to getting an actual tax expert in my area, I just have to vet out a few contenders. 🙂



How an LLC deducts its charitable contributions depends on how the LLC is being reported and taxed, which is an extremely important decision you need to make with the assistance of your professional tax advisor.

If it’s a single member LLC and you are reporting it on Schedule C, the contributions are shown on your Schedule A.

If it’s a multi member LLC and you are reporting as a partnership on Form 1065, contributions are passed through to the members on their K-1s, where they end up on the members’ Schedule As.

If it’s being taxed as an S corp on 1120S, it’s handled the same as with a 1065.

If it’s taxed as a C corp, the contributions are deducted on the 1120 with the normal limit of only allowing a current deduction of 10% of that year’s taxable income.   Any excess is carried over to the next tax year.

As you can see, what you may have considered a simple question doesn’t have a quick answer and illustrates the need for a good professional tax advisor before you set up an LLC.

Good luck.

Kerry Kerstetter



Netflix, Inc.



Posted in Deductions, LLC | Comments Off on LLC Donations

Section 179 and Leasing

Posted by taxguru on June 23, 2007


Subject: Section 179 relative to equipment leasing

Can the taxpayer benefit from the section 179 deductions if the equipment is financed?


Just reviewed your comments about equipment leases relative to operating leases



If equipment is actually purchased, how it is paid for (cash or loan) is irrelevant. 

With leases, it’s a little trickier.  Capital leases (aka disguised purchases) can often qualify for Sec. 179, while operating leases don’t.

I’ve covered this issue rather extensively on my Section 179 page.

Kerry Kerstetter


Thanks Kerry,

I did review your comments on operating leases.

Very informative and useful to our customers!

Thanks again,



Banner HPage_468x60


Posted in 179 | Comments Off on Section 179 and Leasing

Working On QB With Multiple Computers

Posted by taxguru on June 23, 2007


Subject: transferring data


I use Quickbooks Pro 2005 and just got dsl at home.  I have it on my work computer also and want to transfer data to my home computer via the internet.  Can I transfer the data on the internet, I have been using pcAnywhere to transfer via phone line, but it takes forever.  Thanks for any information.


I assume you are wanting to access your QB data from both your home  and work computers.  Trying to do that over the internet is going to be a slow and messy process.  Even the official online QB service, which is designed for this kind of direct access, is much too slow for my tastes; one of my many complaints about the online service.

What you need to do is work with the QBW file directly on each computer.  This will require that after each time you work in the file, from either computer, you backup the data into a compressed QBB file.  There are several ways for you to do this and have access to the QBB file from both of your computers. 

One way would be to backup the QBB file onto a portable storage medium, such as a CD-RW disc or thumb flash drive, which you can carry with you back and forth between home and work.  You would then restore the data onto the computer you are using.

Another way, and the one we use with most of our clients, is to store the QBB file on an online storage service, such as XDrive or MyDocsOnline.  You download a copy of the latest QBB file to the computer you are working on and restore it into your QB program and then work on it all you want. When you’re done, you make a new QBB copy that you upload to your online storage.  This gives you the speed of working on the file locally, with access to the data backup file from anywhere in the world. 

These obviously aren’t the only ways to work with a data file on multiple computers, but they are the ones that we have been using for several years.

Good luck.  I hope this helps.

Kerry Kerstetter



Posted in QB | Comments Off on Working On QB With Multiple Computers

Unreimbursed LLC Expenses

Posted by taxguru on June 23, 2007


Subject: Re: Partnership question – limited or general partner?

Another question for you, Kerry,

First off, I’m glad you survived tax season – congratulations.

The service company in which my husband holds a partnership (medical services) is set up as an LLC.  Maryland law states the following with regard to service LLCs:

 § 4A-301.1. Liability for negligence in rendering professional services.

 (a)  Individual liability.-   

 (1) An individual who renders a professional service in this State as an employee of a domestic or foreign limited liability company is liable for a negligent or wrongful act or omission in which the individual personally participated to the same extent as if the individual rendered the service as a sole practitioner.  

 (2) An individual who renders a professional service in this State as an employee of a domestic or foreign limited liability company is not liable for a negligent or wrongful act or omission of another employee or member of the limited liability company unless the employee is negligent in appointing, supervising, or cooperating with the other employee or member.  

 (b)  Company liability.- A domestic or foreign limited liability company whose employees perform professional services within the scope of their employment or within the scope of the employees’ apparent authority to act for the limited liability company is liable to the same extent as its employees. 

(c)  Liability no greater than in nonprofessional company.- The personal liability of a member of a domestic or foreign limited liability company that provides professional services is no greater in any respect than the liability of a member of a limited liability company which is not engaged in rendering professional services.

I am familiar with Treasury’s temporary regulation 1.469-5T, and it seems as though if the state of incorporation allows for limited liability for the member, the member is passive and limited partner, even if he/she fails the test for passive activities.  I couldn’t find any ruling/regulation with regard to the professional service industry though, except that if you provided a professional service you CANNOT be considered a limited partner.  Seems to be contradictory.

The issue is the unreimbursed partnership expenses incurred throughout last year.  General partners get to deduct UPE from the Social Security Wages listed on the K-1 to figure out the Medicare tax.  Limited partners, according to the directions on the SE, seem to not have that ability.

So the question is – is he a limited partner for IRS purposes or a general partner?  It’s a small difference, but hey – every little bit helps!  Thanks,




The application of SE tax to LLC income has long been an issue of debate among tax pros, and one I have written about several times over the past few years.

Because of the lack of an explicit law on this matter, there is no cut and dried answer that will satisfy everyone.  Some people take the approach that no LLC income is subject to SE tax, while others apply it to all of the LLC net income.  A common compromise position is to treat it similarly to the comparable issue with S corps.  Under this approach, the member’s income that is directly attributable as compensation for services rendered would be subject to SE tax, while the net income that is a result of being an investor in the business would not be. 

This issue obviously needs to be settled for your husband’s treatment of his share of the LLC income first before addressing the appropriate way to handle his unreimbursed expenses.  If he is reporting SE income from the LLC and those expenses can be connected by him to the generation of that income, he can deduct them against that SE income when calculating the actual SE tax.  Likewise, if none of the LLC income is being reported as subject to SE tax, none of the related expenses would be usable in calculating the SE tax.  Similarly, if he is using the compromise approach I mentioned above, any unreimbursed expenses that are connected to his non-SE investor income could also not be used to offset the SE income.   

I hope this helps you understand how murky this issue is.  This is obviously something that you need to work on with your own personal professional tax advisor.

Good luck.

Kerry Kerstetter


Thanks Kerry!


The way we have the (as of today, still unfiled but extended) tax returns calculated now, his income is subject to SE tax.  He fails two of the passive/limited partner tests – the 500 hour test and the personal services test, so we didn’t even consider the idea that his guaranteed payments were exempt from SE tax.


The confusion lies (and the tax advisor is confused as well) with the directions for Form SE, which states that general partners only may deduct the unreimbursed partnership expenses (UPE) from the social security wages in box 15 of the K-1.  Limited partners do not that get, though perhaps they’re left off because limited partners generally do not pay SE tax on guaranteed payments.  The 1065, which was prepared by another firm, however, identifies my husband as a ‘limited’ partner.  That also has not yet been filed, and should probably then be corrected before it is, so that we can deduct the legitimate UPE from the SECA wage base to calculate the SE tax.


I’ll take what you responded as confirmation of the way that we were thinking – since all of his income (guaranteed payments) is subject to SE tax, then he can legitimately deduct unreimbursed partnership expenses from his income on the SE form.


Thanks again for your help.




This is a perfect illustration of why there is so much confusion around the proper tax treatment of this relatively new form of business entity, the LLC, which is basically a hybrid of partnerships and corporations.

Even in a limited partnership, one person had to stick his/her neck out and be a general partner, which made him/her personally liable for all of the business’s debts.  With an LLC, all of the members can be limited in regard to personal liability for the company’s debts.  In essence, nobody is a general partner and everyone is technically a limited partner. 

However, when any of the members take out guaranteed payments, which the LLC deducts as an operating expense, those payments would be treated the same by the member on his 1040 as would guaranteed payments received from a normal partnership, and be subject to SE tax.  Likewise, his unreimbursed expenses used to generate that income would be deductible on his 1040 in exactly the same manner as if he were in a normal partnership, reducing Schedule E and SE income.

The debatable issue regarding SE tax has to do with the K-1 pass-through income, which is the company’s net profit after deducting guaranteed payments.

It’s confusing, but you and your personal professional tax advisors should be able to sort it out for your situation.

Good luck.




TaxCoach Software: Are you giving your clients what they really want?


Posted in LLC | Comments Off on Unreimbursed LLC Expenses

Posted by taxguru on June 22, 2007

Tax Relief Benefits Smaller Companies – WebCPA’s summary of the recently passed tax law.


Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on