Tax Guru – Ker$tetter Letter

Helping real people win the tax game.

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 683 other followers
  • Blog Stats

    • 311,720 hits
  • Posts By Day

    November 2007
    M T W T F S S
  • Subscribe

  • Special Pages

Archive for November 9th, 2007

Big CPA firm mergers have gone too far…

Posted by taxguru on November 9, 2007

Posted in comix, cpa | Comments Off on Big CPA firm mergers have gone too far…

66.7 Inch Truck Bed…

Posted by taxguru on November 9, 2007


Subject: section 179…..Truck has less than 6 foot cargo bed

Thanks for your expertise!!


I am thinking of buying a 2008 Toyoto Tundra for my business.  Over 6,000 gross weight but the cargo bed is less than 6 feet long…..can I still take section 179 on the full purchase price of $40,000???




Checking the Tundra website, you are obviously looking at the CrewMax model, because that is the only one with an inside bed length of less than 72 inches.

Unfortunately, that vehicle does appear to fall under the SUV limit of a maximum of $25,000 Section 179 deduction, with the rest of the purchase price being depreciated over its class life of five years.

If you are truly desperate for maximum first year deductions, you should work with your personal professional tax advisor to see if it would be worth your while to take some more creative and aggressive steps, such as splitting the purchase between two entities, such as a C corp and a Schedule C business, where each could then claim up to $25,000 per SUV. 

Good luck.  I hope this helps.

Kerry Kerstetter



thanks for the help Kerry!!  I was afraid I was right on the limitation due to less than 6 foot bed..  I “assume ” the worst case is IF I took the full 40k 179 deduction in 2007 and got audited…..would still get the $25k deduction but be required to depreciate the remaining 15k over 3-5 penalty and interest of course:(


thanks again….will consider the 2 entity concept.


My reply:

You really need to be working directly with your very own professional tax advisor because thinking like that (claiming Section 179 for the full $40,000 and praying for no IRS audit) is ridiculously reckless and can get you into serious trouble.  Any good creative tax pro will be able to save you hundreds of times more than his/her fee in taxes, as well as keep you out of trouble with the IRS.

Good luck.





Posted in 179, Vehicles | Comments Off on 66.7 Inch Truck Bed…

Finding good tax help…

Posted by taxguru on November 9, 2007


Hello Kerry,


Can you give me some examples of what I can pay my corp. for to transfer income as you mention. I am in the roofing and remodeling business and yes I am am working with a tax pro. I need help with ideas to get me thinking in the right direction. 

Is the sample chart of accounts in the industry specific quick books pretty close to what I need to use?





As I have discussed on numerous occasions, there are several very easy ways by which to shift income between your corp and yourself.  What is best for your particular situation is something your personal tax pro should be helping you determine.  If your tax pro is unfamiliar with how to do this, you obviously have the wrong tax pro and need to find one who is more well versed in this very common and useful strategy for reducing taxes.  The fact that you feel a need to ask a stranger this question instead of your own personal tax advisor is disconcerting.

The standard chart of accounts that comes with QuickBooks is the best place to start; but then should be modified to suit your needs, as well as those of your professional tax preparer.  My personal style is to make the QB income statements match as closely as possible their tax return schedules, so I do a bit of tweaking to the charts of accounts my clients send me in order to achieve this. 

I realize that I may sound like a shill for QuickBooks, but it is the easiest and fastest accounting program I have ever worked with in regard to making any kinds of modifications to the chart of accounts.  Your personal tax pro should be part of your design process for the chart of accounts that will work best for your particular situation. 

Remember that you will have one company QBW file for your corp and a separate one for your personal info; each coordinated to match up with your tax returns.  An experienced tax pro should have no problem in helping you set both of them up properly.

Good luck.

Kerry Kerstetter




Thanks for answering me back so soon. Yes it is disconcerting I have to ask you a net guy, but I’ve learned a lot from the internet and from your site. I’ve spent $thousands on accountants/CPA’s and lawyers, it’s frustrating. You probably know from talking to so many people about this, but there are more bad tax pro’s than good one’s at least in my experience. But I’m searching for a better tax man/woman now. Another thing where your site and your answers help, is helping educate us to know what to talk to our tax guys about. After sleeping on shifting income idea I came up with a couple ways that are specific to my situation and I’ll speak to my current accountant about these.

Thanks again Kerry, keep up the good work.


TaxCoach Software: Are you giving your clients what they really want?


Posted in preparers | Comments Off on Finding good tax help…